I have made a face cream that is PERFECT for my interesting skin, which is acne-prone, super sensitive, and with a health condition which carries a slow healing process (Don’t be jealous, people). As a side plus, this cream is a GREAT blend for smoothing the appearance of stretch marks (not that anyone writing this has those…).
The key to creating fluffy, smooth cream is using the ratio of 75% hard oil to 25% liquid oil. Because Shea Butter (hard) and Safflower Oil (liquid) carry a 0% pore-clogging rate on the comedogenic (acne causing) ratings chart, I chose those for my base.
- Shea butter (raw, unrefined) – about 1/5 block
- Safflower Oil – about 1/3 cup (but you can add more as per instructions below)
- Essential Oils: Elemi, Geranium, Lavender, Tea Tree (I choose 1st distillation, therapeutic-grade EOs…Umm, it’s for my face!)
1. Melt shea butter in a double broiler.
2. Pour into glass bowl, place in freezer for 20 minutes to cool and harden (Consistency will be plushy and soft with a little liquid in the middle – think hardened grease/fat consistency.).
3. Transfer shea butter to new glass bowl, add safflower oil, mix with blender (Consistency should start to become fluffy and smooth like cake batter. Add more safflower oil if the mix is too hard.).
4. Add 20 drops of each essential oil:
- Elemi for smoothing and toning
- Geranium for regenerating
- Lavender for calming
- Tea Tree for cleansing